The difference between DEBITS and CREDITS

What is the difference between debits and credits? Credits are a good thing, right? After all, I just got a store credit!
image of money

Hmmm. Many folks find bookkeeping or accounting transactions - or the concept of debits and credits - very confusing because they are looking at it backwards. I know because when I first learned accounting I was totally confused! So here goes.

Debits and credits aren't good or bad, per se. However, if you are talking about your checking account, then you want DEBITS. Why? Because debits always add money to a checking account and credits always subtract money from a checking account. Surprised? Keep reading!

First, remember that every bookkeeping transaction consists of a debit and credit of equal value. (That's why it's called double-entry bookkeeping.) Some account receives the debit while another account receives the credit. The debit or credit can be split between multiple accounts, but the total debit always equals the total credit.
If I deposit $200 in my business checking account, the account gets debited $200 and it's balance increases by $200. Whoa! That confuses folks because they think that debits are the "bad guys" and take money away.

Likewise, if I write a check, my accounting software credits my checking account ... yes, subtracts money from it and reduces its balance. Wait ... you thought credits gave you money because when you returned that widget to the store, the store gave you money back. (And if we do a good thing, folks might say "I'll give you credit for that!")
But it's true: a debit adds to an account balance while a credit subtracts from an account balance. So, WHY are we confused?

We're confused because we've learned these terms from dealing with stores, banks, and charge card companies, and these entities use these terms from their perspective, not ours! When you return an item and your charge card gets a credit, the charge card company is subtracting from your account balance ... crediting your account. Bad for them, good for you.

And when the bank charges you for the box of checks you had printed, they debit your checking account. Stay with me now. Yes, they are adding to your account balance. HOWEVER, from the bank's perspective, your checking account is a negative account - a loan you might say. So when they debit your negative account, they're actually making the balance less because the negative balance gets smaller.

You see, you are actually loaning your money to the bank to use as they wish ... it's not just sitting there in the vault. But they know they owe you that money if you ever come in and want to close your account, so to them your checking account is a liability - a negative or credit account - and negative accounts maintain a negative balance.


Remember, a debit adds to an account balance while a credit subtracts from an account balance. This is easy to understand when discussing positive accounts - or accounts that maintain a positive balance in the accounting system. But it's more difficult to visualize when discussing negative accounts as discussed above. If you pay $100 on a loan, you credit (subtract from) Cash and debit (add to) the loan account $100. This decreases the loan account's balance because loan accounts are "negative" accounts or "credit" accounts and when you debit a negative account, the balance - a negative number to the accounting system - gets smaller.

If you have trouble understanding debits and credits and how they work with accounts that maintain negative values, we urge you to read our unique and popular tutorial on our main website, Accounting: Making Sense of Debits and Credits.


Our Making Sense of Debits and Credits tutorial is powerful because it uses elementary math concepts to unravel the mystery of bookkeeping transactions! New or unsure about accounting? You'll find many beginning accounting tutorials on our main website.

Also, if you'd like a list of sample transactions (debits and credits) for some of the most common journal entries you will have to know and use, read Super Sample Accounting Transactions on our main website. We explain why the accounts are debited and credited as they are.

Cheers!



19 comments:

Suz said...

Great post for Accounting Dummies like me.

Anonymous said...

you splain well :)

Jason Black said...

YES and YES. Thanks for a great post.

Brandon said...

great post. keep it up. Brandon

Joyelyn B. said...

I can't believe I'm 57 years old and I always thought a credit was a good thing. In fact I just got a credit at Macy's. This is strange. I just had to start helping my husband with accounting with a new business he started and now I know why I've been so confused. Will check out online tutorials too. God bless.

Anonymous said...

My husband just came home excited because we had a credit at Sears. I tried to explain what it was about, but we both got confused. I do get it though because your explanation makes sense. I need to study this more but appreciate the short post.

allie said...

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKS !

Anonymous said...

I'm still a little confused but I think I get what your saying, I need read more but THANK you..

Bob with no URL ;-) said...

thanks mate

JULIA said...

So much junk on the Internet, finally found some info, this is short but sweet

Anonymous said...

Your post has cleared up years of confusion for me. Why didn't my business instructor mention this? Danke!

Sam the Man said...

Ahhhhh. Me thinks I GOT it. Still need remedial help tho LOL

Jane Westerlake said...

This is so bizarre. I always got these confused in school and it kinda makes some cents now - LOL. Seriously thanks

Bernadette said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. I was reading an Excel topic and this looked interesting and it was. Thank you! Bernadette

Anonymous said...

I can see my study of bookkeeping is going to take awhile. I did get something out of this though. Interesting. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I just started study bookeeping in college and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about accounting topcis as i can before the next semester starts because I didn't do very well in my first semester. These types of website articles are really helping me so thank you.

Robbie said...

Ilearned this in freshman college and it wasn't explaine very well, wish I'd had this! Robbie

Brigitte said...

Thanks alot!

Anonymous said...

This helped a lot, why is accounting SO confusing?

Post a Comment