Is Your Touchpad Mouse Opening Windows You Don't Want Opened?

Our new Windows 7 laptop touch-pad mouse is driving me crazy. If the cursor innocently hovers over a program shortcut (icon) on the desktop, Windows opens the program!

If I'm looking at a list of items on a window, such as Windows Explorer, deciding what I need and my finger rests on the touchpad (trackpad), the folder or file opens. 

Windows are opening all over the place! Aaaargh!

This may not be new to Windows 7, but I don't remember this happening on any of our other laptops. We just bought a Windows netbook and if the cursor just happens to rest on an icon or a file, it opens. This will not do! 

Keep reading to find out how to stop the mouse cursor from opening practically everything and anything that can open - Word documents, Excel documents, Microsoft products, other products ... anything that you usually double-click to open.

Here is what is happening. On some Windows 7 laptops, the "tapping" feature is enabled by default. It is this feature that is opening windows when the mouse cursor hovers over an item and your fingers touch the touchpad in any way.

So, if you like to rest your fingers on the touchpad while you're thinking also, turn this feature off by following these easy steps:

  1. Click Start | Control Program. Click the Mouse icon if it is there, and the "Mouse Properties" window opens. (On Control Panel, you may have to click Appearance & Personalization, Personalization, and then the Mouse icon.
  2. Click the tab labeled Device Settings (on some systems the tab is labeled with the mouse name, e.g. Elan). Make sure the touchpad mouse is selected (highlighted) and then click Settings (or Options).
  3. In the left column, remove the check mark in front of Tapping. Click Apply and click OK. (On some systems you may have to click on the word Tapping and then remove the check mark in the box next to "Enable Tapping.") Click Apply and click OK.
  4. Click OK to close the Mouse Properties window. Then close Control Panel.

We haven't purchased a Windows 10 laptop yet ... just desktops, so it may happen with that operating system as well. Cheers!








7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for providing this information.

Anonymous said...

That sure worked for me and it was drivnig me crazy too !

Anonymous said...

why couldn't i find this on microsoft's website? who wants this to happen and it was happing to me too - THANKS dude!!!!!!!!!!

Numnutts said...

Why do that make crap like that the default? Sheeesh! Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks from me too. It was driving me mad.

Hunter said...

I bookmarked this several years ago. I just bought a 15" HP laptop and I had windows frantically opening everywhere just trying to install Chrome and get the damn thing set up. Then I remembered your post ... and all is well. Why that is the default I'll never know. It is MOST annoying!

Anonymous said...

Every time I buy a new notebook I have to hunt around on the internet to find the answer to this question. Thanks you.

Post a Comment